Monday, July 16, 2012

A list of things to bring with you to the hospital…

I found that when it was time for Spencer’s surgery I had no idea what to pack, for myself or for him. When I went to the hospital to have Spencer I was given a very thorough list of what I would need for me and what you need for a new baby.  How come there is no such list for bringing a child to the hospital for surgery? Not even just this specific surgery, for any surgery. I found myself calling and e-mailing the coordinator at the hospital (I probably was driving him crazy) but the bottom line is I knew I would be staying by Spencer’s side and it is not as if I live around the corner from Sick Kids Hospital therefore if there was something I needed I really wanted to have it with me. Luckily after asking the questions I pretty much had everything I needed and if I didn’t someone brought it to me over the course of the week. I think there needs to be a list and since there isn’t one I have now created one for you.

For Baby:

Diapers – First of all you don’t need to bring diapers as the hospital very graciously provides them.
(That being said I was happy that I brought some diapers with me as I favour the Pampers Swaddlers. They use the Pampers Baby Dry. The reason I liked the swaddlers especially in this circumstance was that Swaddlers have that yellow line down the middle that turns blue when the baby pees so when I couldn’t tell if Spencer was peeing at least the swaddlers could tell me he was wet which is so important.)

Wipes - The hospital also provides Wipes but again I prefer the Pampers Sensitive Baby Wipes so I was happy I had those as well. The hospital ones were very dry and I found they didn’t clean the “surprises” as well.

Onesies – I found onesies that due up down the front (you don’t want to put anything over the head for the first little while but I found I did want to get him dressed a little so the onesies worked well. I needed a whole bunch because they do get dirty. About 5 or 6 would be a good number to bring.

Sleepers – Again ones that due up down the front. I found that because it is an extremely hot summer I did not need sleepers really because the hospital was quite warm. In the winter it would probably good to bring a few maybe 3 or 4.

Clothes/ Pants – I only brought one sweat suit and that was to go home in. That was sufficient. Depending on how fast your child recovers you may want to dress him or her a day before you go home but not likely earlier than that. Again only clothes that button or have a very large head hole.

Socks – Again you don’t need many but a couple pairs are good for the baby. To make sure if it is cool then their feet will stay warm.

Blanket/Security Object - If your baby sleeps with a special blanket or has a toy that they really like bring it with as it also provides comfort to them.

Food/Bottles/Sippy Cup - If your child prefers to drink using a specific bottle or sippy cup bring it with you. They will provide bottles but Spencer was much happier when he saw his own sippy cup. I think it was reassuring to him and he drank and drank from it. They tried to give him a bottle and had no luck as he doesn’t know what to do with a bottle. In fact, they were quite surprised that a child of his age uses a sippy cup and not a bottle. I also brought one container of pureed fruit, one box of cereal, and a couple yogurts with me. He ended up not eating anything except a little bit of cereal but I was glad I brought it all with. (There is a fridge on the floor or in our case our room so we kept the food for him there and whatever we didn’t use we brought home)

Baby Soap/Shampoo – I would highly recommend bringing this with you as the hospital uses just a bar of soap which has a very strong perfumey smell to bathe them with. I much prefer a light, baby soap, like Aveeno, so it is much better to bring your own.

Pacifier – If your child uses a pacifier it is a must. They took Spencer into surgery with it and he came out sucking it. He wasn’t so attached before the surgery but after was very comforted by it.


Parents:

Let’s start with the obvious…

Underwear/Socks/Bras etc. – You obviously need these with you. Bring at least 5 days worth. If you are nursing don’t forget your nursing pads as well.

Pants/Capris/Shorts – Best thing to have is sweat/yoga type pants. You don’t need a lot I really wore the same 2 pairs of pants the whole time. I had a pair of Capri’s and a pair of long pants. That was sufficient. My husband had one pair of sweat pants and one pair of shorts.

T-Shirts/Tanks/Long Sleeve Shirts/Sweatshirts – During the day a tank top or t-shirt was fine. However, the nurses warned me that they put Polysporin in large amounts on the incision and it seriously stains clothes. And boy was she right, the stains that I had on my shirts from holding Spencer did not come out so make sure you are not wearing clothes that you care deeply for because they too will be ruined. At night, I found I was freezing, partly because I was exhausted but also I just found the temperature really dropped at night so a long sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt was well worth it. I had 2 sweatshirts, both ruined but well worth it.

Pajamas – Do not forget pj’s. You will not be doing a lot of sleeping but keeping comfortable through the night is good.

Shoes – Comfortable, easy to put on and off. You will find yourself taking them on and off all day long.


Next onto toiletries…


Toothbrush and toothpaste

Travel bottles of Shampoo and Conditioner – Each room does have its own bathroom with a shower so having your own stuff I felt made me a little happier.

Deodorant

Contacts/Glasses – If you wear contacts or glasses make sure you have everything you need for that.

Hair clips or Elastic/Hair ties – Very beneficial if you have long hair like me

Pain Meds – If you ever take Tylenol or Advil you need to bring your own. They will not supply parents with anything only the children/babies. Even if you don’t need it is better to have some on you just in case.

Other Items that are a must:

Pillow and Blanket – I brought a warm blanket and my pillow with. This was a very good move. The hospital will supply you with a sheet and a flannelette sheet but I brought a wool one which was cozy and warm. This was great especially for the night that Spencer spent in the ICU and we rested in the waiting room there. That room was particularly freezing.

Towel – They will also supply you and your child with washcloths and towels but they were small towels. I did shower every day so I was happy to have my own large bath sheet for showering.


Other Musts:

Cash – If you want to buy food most of the places within the hospital do not take credit cards so you should make sure you have cash on you. The parking lot is also cash only so make sure you have enough to cover the amount of time you are staying. (A minimum of 4 days)

Snacks and Water – We went through quite a few bottles of water as the hospital is very dry. Again there is access to fridges and freezers so if you are a yogurt eater or other small snacks I would definitely bring some stuff with as the food there can get quite expensive. Muffins, some fresh fruit were all useful especially when you don’t have a large appetite like myself dealing with all this stuff.

Books/Movies/Computer/Ipad/Magazines – Anything to occupy your time. There is a DVD player and a large TV in the room so watching movies and t.v. does help pass the time. Reading books and magazines are also good. There is also free Wi-Fi so if you check e-mail or want to go on Facebook it is available to you.

Camera – If you choose to document this journey than you will want to have a camera with you.



I think I have pretty much covered everything you will need for the hospital stay.


No comments:

Post a Comment